Monday 23 April 2012

Strawberry Shortbread

Week18, Bake 18.

Last week I wrote of going to the W.I. and it actually went quite well (I wasn't the youngest!). It was amazing, there were about 70 women all eating cake and discussing crafts. It appears that the meeting was just a meet and greet but I am very proud to say that I went totally out of my comfort zone and went into a room where I knew no one and spoke to new people. This past week I have had to do that a lot and hopefully as a result I am getting more confident.

Anyway, after my first two days at work I am settling in well in Somerset. This weeks bake is done so because I found a farmers market where I was able to get two punnets of strawberries for a quid. So here it is, strawberry shortbread cookies.

Ingredients:
  • 6oz of hulled and diced strawberries
  • 100g (plus a tablespoon) of caster sugar
  • 250g of plain flour
  • 2 teaspoons of baking powder
  • 1/2 teaspoon of salt
  • 100g of unsalted butter (cold)
  • 150ml of double cream
Method:
  1. Preheat the oven to 180c.
  2. In a small bowl, add two tablespoons of caster sugar to the strawberries and let them rest.
  3. Sift the flour and baking powder and add in the salt into a large mixing bowl.
  4. Now cut up the butter into small cubes and rub it into the flour mixture with your fingers.
  5. When it has become corse breadcrumbs, make a well in the centre of the bowl and pour in the double cream.
  6. Bring it together with a spoon, then using your hands.
  7. Now add in the strawberries, then divide the mixture into blobs.
  8. Cook for 20-25 minutes.

1 comment:

  1. I am enjoying reading all about your new life in Somerset! I want to come visit you!!!

    ReplyDelete