Monday 21 November 2011

Yet Another Christmas Craft...


So in a previous post I showed the result of my first attempt at making tea cup candles. Well for the craft fair I decided to make some Christmas smelling ones. I'm hoping to get seven or eight pounds for them (which I maintain is still considerably cheaper than on notonthehighstreet.com). So here is my quick guide to creating some Christmas tea cup candles.

Here is what you need:
  • Tea cups - I have used 3 different types of tea cups and made 10 in total.
  • Fragrance (I brought Blue Christmas and Hollidazzle)
  • Wax
  • Colouring
  • Wicks
What I did:
  1. Weigh out how much wax you need, to fill a tea cup with a candle it is the ratio of of a cup and a half of unmelted wax.
  2. Once you know how much wax you need and have weighed it, choose your colour. The amount you will need about 1g of colour to every 100g of wax, but add more or less depending on how much colour you want.
  3. No melt the wax, I did it in a old jug in the microwave. This took about 2 minutes, but I checked it regularly. If it is not totally melted then pop it in for another 30 seconds.
  4. Now wait for the wax to cool until it is approx 55c. You need to let the wax cool before adding the fragrance otherwise it will evaporate. Add about a ratio of 5-10% fragrance to wax (e.g. 100g of wax 10ml of fragrance).
  5. Once you have stirred this in well, dab the end of the wick in some of the wax and stick it onto the bottom of the tea cup.
  6. Holding the wick, slowly pour the melted wax into the tea cup.
  7. Hold the wick until it stands up by itself.
  8. Now leave to cool for a day, trim the wick to 5cm and light your Christmas tea cup candle!

Pin It

No comments:

Post a Comment