Today we picked our apple harvest. 106 pounds (48kg) worth of apples. So we decided to use some of them to make fig and apple jam to add to my parents jam menu at their Bed and Breakfast. So here is the recipe I used for the fig and apple jam, which I found on google.
- 1lb of figs, diced.
- 2 cooking apples (approx 1/2 a lb), peel, cored, diced.
- Juice of 3 lemons
- Grated rind of one lemon
- 2 cups (500ml) of white sugar
- Place the chopped apples and figs in a large heavy base pan. Add the lemon juice and rind and cook gently over a medium heat.
- When the figs are very soft and the apple is mushy add the sugar and stir until the sugar has dissolved.
- Bring to the boil and boil until the jam has reached its setting point (check this by the saucer test or using a thermometer until it reaches 105 degrees).
- Ladle into clean jars.