Monday 22 August 2011

Vintage films... Miss Pettigrew lives for a day

Miss Pettigrew lives for a day is a film which takes place over one day (and night) in late 1930's London. Based on the book by Winifred Watson it follows Guinevere Pettigrew (Frances McDormand) after being fired from a governess job in London and the quest of hers to find a new job which as a result she ends up in the glamorous 1930's London we all wish we knew. She becomes a 'Social Security' for Delysia Lafosse, (Amy Adams) an American socialite whose morals are unlike her own.

I love this film as it is quick (in the sense that something is always happening) and it is beautifully shot. This is another film where I own the soundtrack as it is lovely and has empathise on the jazz and swing music from that era. It has a touching rendition of the 1939 classic "If I didn't care" preformed by Amy Adams and Lee Pace. I also love the clothes! The sets are magnificent and transport you back to the 30's where the threat of war was real and the dresses were modest - gosh I sound like my father! The plot and script are brilliant and it is certainly a film I recommend. Love it.

Trailer is available on you tube

No comments:

Post a Comment